Recently it was announced that Mobile Number Portability or MNP would be implemented across the country which means even if you are changing your mobile phone operator, you can retain the phone number. MNP was launched in Haryana this week and would be available soon across India. We will see how to port a mobile number using the steps mentioned below.
Img Credit: watblog
How to Port Mobile Number in India:
1. Send an SMS to 1900 in following format: PORT – eg. PORT 9999999999. Replace 9999999999 with your own mobile number.
2. You will receive an SMS reply that contains a unique porting code.
3. SMS to the preferred operator quoting the unique code. This code is valid only for a few days, and one must apply again if it expires.
4. Your existing operator will check with new operator & if there are no dues then approval will be given for porting.
5. You will get an SMS on the time and date when porting will take place. Rules mandate that process be completed within 4 days of applying.
6. After porting is complete, wait for an SMS from your new operator confirming the switch. Your phone may be dead for about 2 hours when the porting takes place.
The whole process will cost you a maximum of Rs 19/-.