Sony Ericsson XPERIA is a wonderful phone with Windows Mobile featuring lots of features including QWERTY keypad and 3-inch touch screen. We have previously written about wallpapers, freewares and also how to install TouchFLO 3D on XPERIA. Sony Ericsson has released new firmware for XPERIA after the release of X1.The firmware are updates which fixes some of the bugs and adds new features and improvements over the previous version of firmware. You can install these updates through Sony Ericsson Updates service. Here we are explaining in detail on how to install the updates on your Sony Ericsson XPERIA.
NB: Please Note the author will not hold responsibility for anything that happens due to update. You are requested to contact the nearest SE service center for any issues after update or for any doubts on update.
1. First step is to download the Sony Ericsson Update service. This can be downloaded from Sony Ericsson website. Once you have downloaded the application, install it on your PC.
2. Start the Sony Ericsson Update Service application. It might check for any updates and also synchronizes, wait for these tasks to complete. Once it starts up, you get a screen where you need to accept the terms and conditions. Check the box and click Start.
3. In the next step, select your phone, in our case XPERIA X1 and click the next button.
4. In the next step, you will be show a set of instructions on how to start the update service. You need to make sure that Active Sync is installed on your PC and your mobile is fully charged. Turn off the phone, remove the battery and again insert the battery. Next press the volume down button and press and hold the power key together with the volume key pressed. Keep on holding the key until you see colored lines on the phone screen.
5. Once the phone screen shows different color lines, connect the USB cable to the phone and the software will now detect the phone for installing updates.
6. Once the software detects the phone, it checks the current version and also checks if any new updates are available for the phone. It will tell you the current version of software and also the update available for your phone.
7. Before you install any update, make sure that you take a back up of ALL the data on your phone memory as the update installation will overwrite any thing on the phone memory. Your SIM card and storage card memory will NOT be effected. Once you have taken a back up you can start the install process by clicking the install button.
8. The Update service will download the latest firmware from the internet and once the download is complete it will be installed on your phone. Make sure that you DO NOT remove the power cable or USB cable while the update service is working as this might cause the update service to stop.
Once the software update is installed on your XPERIA, you can restart your phone and it will show the new update.